Friday, September 17, 2010

NEGOTIATING: The Path of Java Jolt

Starbucks says they are going to start putting religious quotes on cups. The very first one will say, 'Jesus! This cup is expensive!' Conan O'Brian




I stopped with a friend at a Starbuck's for a quick fix the other day. Her conversation with the young barista might sound familiar to you:


Friend: "I'll have a small coffee."
Barista: "You'll have a tall coffee."
Friend: "No. I just want a small coffee."
Barista: "Oh, yes. A tall coffee is a small coffee."
Friend: cross-eyed by now, "Ah, okay."
Barista: "Miss, will that be a decaf." (It was almost four in the afternoon.)
Friend: "No thank you! I just want a small, plain, caffeinated coffee."
Barista: "Okay, a tall, regular coffee."


Wow! I think it took me less time to negotiate the mortgage on my first house. And not to point a finger at Starbuck's, I believe it's a little like that almost anywhere these days. And that conversation didn't get into the challenges of flavored coffee drinks: "I'll have a small - no make that  a tall - decaf mocha with whipped cream - make that a nonfat, decaf mocha with whipped cream - no hold the whipped cream ... do you have soy? - I'll have a soy decaf mocha with whipped cream. Small. No! I mean tall. Make it iced. Oh, wait a minute. Is your soy gluten-free? I better not take a chance. I'll have a tall, iced nonfat mocha without whipped cream.Thanks! How much? An arm and a leg. Okay, and here's my right eye for a tip. Good job! Thank you." It's all a bit of a jolt: java included in the packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment